Tuesday, October 5, 2010

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall"-Confucious

It's October. For some this means falling leaves, pumpkins, halloween, cooler  weather, football, fall, school really settling in. For me it means hope. When some people thinkk of October they think of orange, red, yellow and brown. I think pink.
October is breast cancer awareness month. Before 2008, this didn't really mean all too much. I knew breast cancer was a problem, but I never gave it much though. But that all changed in August 2008. That month, my mom was diagnosed with Breast Cancer. I was 14, and I just knew this was going to be the worst thing that would ever happen to me. I was so upset and confused, and I felt like I didn't have anyone to talk to. Until, I realized that it wasn't about me. It was about my mom. She was going through so much more. She had to get surgery, and go through chemo which caused a PE. It was her I talked to, and I knew my job was to make her life easier and cheer her up. I went to Chemo's with her and saw even more people with cancer. I feel so lucky that my mom's cancer was stage 0-1. It was completely curable. Some other women aren't that lucky. I think it's important to raise awareness and raise money for research. 1 in 8 women will be diagnosed with breast cancer! That's A LOT! You can do so much to help.
Go to:
http://ww5.komen.org/ and find something you can do. I participate in the race every year now, and its an amazing experience. This year, I'm getting a breast cancer awareness week started at my school! Every little thing helps. My heart goes out to everyone who's lives have been affected by breast cancer.

No comments:

Post a Comment